Saturday, December 14, 2013

Driving in Snow

So, skiing in fresh snow is way better than driving in it.  You're welcome for that profound insight. 

I haven't driven in the snow in several years.  Before moving to Michigan over the summer, I lived in Florida, and before that I was in Seattle, and before that I didn't drive nearly as much.  Florida, obviously, was without snow.  It was the panhandle so it got relatively cold in the winter months, but never snowy or icy.  Seattle was colder but usually too mild for significant snow accumulation, although the hilly terrain of downtown certainly amplified the effects...often with hilarious results. 

It's fairly remarkable to think about.  Snow, when compacted, is strong enough to support a two ton vehicle.  Cars don't just smush the snow out of the way, they basically create a thick layer of ice on the road.  Ice, with seriously reduced friction, and friction is somewhat important to maintaining control of a vehicle.  The snow seems to compact unevenly under the tires as well, which makes the controls feel squirrely.  Erratic control can only exacerbate a bad situation, much like pilot-induced oscillations on the runway after a bad landing. 

On Monday, I took a turn just a little too quickly.  Getting into the turn was alright, but the car quickly let go.  I had no control.  The wheels were turned, the brakes just let the tires skid over the snow, rather than stop, and I had no way out.  I skidded into a speed limit sign and wound up about six inches from amputating the back right wheel on a thick slab of concrete that defined a storm drain.  With some help, and much embarrassment (it was the entrance to my work, and most of my coworkers were driving in just behind me) I was able to extricate my car without further incident.

Driving in to work today, there was unplowed snow the entire way.  It was an experience...I don't know that I've ever been that nervous when driving.  I'm a fairly confident driver (probably a bit overconfident, like most drivers) but that was pretty intense.  So, learning to drive in the snow.  Should be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment