Thursday, December 12, 2013

Well, the answer lies...

...somewhere in the middle

Every goddamn time.  

My major was Government, with a concentration in International Affairs.  Like political science, but not that.  Because calling it "political science" is a bit like calling yourself a "custodial engineer."  In fact, I used to do that sometimes, I'd say I was a "governmental engineer" or something silly and pretentious and not nearly as humorous as I imagined it was, because looking back...I am an asshole.  

But anyway.  It seems like for every question we ever tackled in any class related to my major, someone would bring up a question.  The professor would set up a false choice, and we'd (or, other people would...I wasn't terribly talkative in a major where grades were based strongly on participation) debate it for a little while.  And people would get pretty heated, and they'd argue back and forth, and lay out the arguments, and defend them.  

After taking a few of these classes, I noticed the pattern.  And I'd think, in my head, "the answer is somewhere in between.  Both sides have valid arguments to make, and realizing that is most important."  Remember, I'm an asshole.  

And every time, we'd get "well, both sides are right.  The answer is somewhere in the middle."  Of course it is, as it should be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment